Hiking is the preferred way to arrive at our club, and connects you with the values and traditions of our founders and members. We also supply directions below for how to reach us by motor vehicle or bus.
We recommend obtaining a Mt. Tamalpais trail map, which can be purchased in downtown Mill Valley, REI, or wherever trail maps are sold. See links below to online trail map PDFs.
There are two main trails to the Tourist Club, the Redwood Trail and the Sun Trail. These trails have wonderful views towards the west and wildflowers in the spring. Many believe that the most rewarding hike to the club is to take the Dipsea Trail from downtown Mill Valley to the Sun Trail.
- The Redwood Trail — Start at the trailhead across from the Mountain Home Inn, walk south on the Panoramic Trail, then turn right down the Redwood Trail for 0.8 miles. This hike takes about 25 minutes.
- The Dipsea Trail — Although there is a significant amount of uphill on the way here, including the famous Dipsea Steps (688, count ‘em), it is all downhill on the way back! Start in downtown Mill Valley near The Depot, walk up Throckmorton Avenue to Old Mill Park, then proceed up the Dipsea Steps. At the top of the Dipsea Steps, turn right to walk a short distance on the trail along the road, then continue up Walsh. At the top you will reach Panoramic Highway. Cross Panoramic, then go north about 50 feet along the highway to find the trail sign. Continue on the Dipsea Trail, turn right after 0.1 miles at the Y, and follow the Sun Trail for 0.7 miles to the Tourist Club. Those without a map or knowledge of the turns along this route could have difficulty finding their way. This hike is 2 miles and takes about 50 minutes.
- The Sun Trail — Start near the intersection of Panoramic Highway and Bayview Drive. Find the Dipsea Trail sign on the west side of Panoramic Highway, then follow the Dipsea Trail for 0.1 miles to the Y where the Sun Trail splits to the right. Follow the Sun Trail for 0.7 miles to the Tourist Club. This hike takes about 20 minutes.
Our coordinates 37° 53′ 54.58″ N, 122° 34′ 12.12″ W (37.898495, -122.570034)
Trail Map PDFs
- Muir Woods National Monument Trail Map (PDF)
- Mt. Tamalpais State Park Brochure and Map (PDF)
- Marin Municipal Water District (MMWD) Road and Trail Visitor Map (PDF)
By Motor Vehicle
From San Francisco
- Take Highway 101 north across the Golden Gate Bridge to Mill Valley
- Take exit #445B for Highway 1 north to Stinson Beach, Muir Woods, and Mt. Tamalpais. Continue on Highway 1, staying left at Tam Junction, then bearing right where the road splits toward Mt. Tamalpais and Muir Woods
- At the four-way intersection at the top of the ridge with Muir Woods Road and Sequoia Valley Road, continue straight on Panoramic Highway
- After 0.9 miles, turn left on Ridge Avenue and continue to 30 Ridge Avenue
- Park in the lot on the right
- Walk ¼ mile down the access road to the club. Permission from club is required to drive on this road.
The West Marin Stagecoach offers convenient bus service to and from the Tourist Club, starting at the Manzanita Park & Ride right off Highway 101 at the Mill Valley/Stinson Beach/Highway 1 exit. See their website for route, cost, and payment details.
The bus drops off at three nearby locations on Panoramic Highway:
- Bayview Drive, from where you can hike to the club via the Sun Trail
- Ridge Avenue, the cross street with Panoramic Highway that leads to the club parking lot
- The Mountain Home Inn, from where you can hike to the club via the Panoramic Trail to the Redwood Trail