With 600,000 members in approximately 50 member and/or partner organizations throughout the globe, the Naturefriends movement is one of the largest non-governmental organizations (NGOs) worldwide. Members are active in local groups and are represented in regional, national and federal associations. Naturefriends International (NFI) is the umbrella organization of the national Naturefriends federations. NFI is a member of the Green 10, the platform of the ten largest European environmental organizations.
Die NaturFreunde sind eine internationale Umwelt-, Kultur-, Freizeit- und Touristikorganisation. Von österreichischen Sozialisten 1895 in Wien gegründet, gehören heute zur NaturFreunde- Bewegung etwa 600.000 Mitglieder in 21 Ländern.
Most branches built and maintain at least one local clubhouse. There are over 1,200 clubhouses worldwide, run by associations and partners in Albany, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Great Britain, Hungary, India, Israel, Italy, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, Nepal, Netherlands, Pakistan, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Senegal, Slovakia, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Tanzania, Togo, Ukraine, and USA.
The club lodges range from the rustic, to a few that are hotel-like in facilities and accommodations. Each club operates independently, but members are welcome at all Nature Friends clubs worldwide. Most clubs have accommodations for members at reasonable rates, reflecting our founding principle, Berg frei, “Free the mountain” (for everyone).
Naturefriends are internationally, ecologically and socially minded
Environmental protection and social justice are the causes espoused by the Naturefriends movement, which is global in character and democratic in structure. The focus of Naturefriends activities is on designing and implementing sustainability schemes for the environment and for the society at regional, national and international level.
Naturefriends stand for
- Tourism and leisure activities that are socially equitable and in tune with nature
- The protection of our natural and cultural heritage
- Climate protection and climate justice
- Nature interpretation
- Inspiring people to connect with and to preserve the natural environment and to introduce them to biodiversity have been major concerns of the Naturefriends movement from its very inception.
- Respectful, sustainable tourism
- Naturefriends advocate a socially, culturally and ecologically benign development of tourism.
- Climate protection
- Naturefriends are actively engaged in environment and climate protection, organising pertinent campaigns and projects.
- Sustainable regional development
- Naturefriends activities are designed to support regions in opting for sustainable tourism.
- Political commitment
- Naturefriends are engaged in lobbying and educational activities as well as in intensive networking with a view to popularising issues relating to the environment, to the climate and to social policy at regional, national and international level.
- Worldwide solidarity
- Naturefriends put in train intercultural projects and encounters and demand fair and respectful behaviour vis-à-vis all people, irrespective of their ethnicity, sex or religious beliefs.
For more information:
- Naturefriends International website
- Naturefriends Houses Geofinder
- Naturefriends - A Driving Force (PDF)
Gallery of selected international Nature Friends locations